ACE285 - Integrated sustainable building design – engineers
Study Period: LP3 January to March
Go to course page
The aim of the course is to equip students with the necessary skills and abilities to carry out design for sustainable building, integrating environmental, functional, technical, and aesthetical qualities in a design concept. Furthermore, they shall be able to cooperate over professional boundaries in the design processes. They are also expected to be able to formulate and communicate their main ideas and goals orally and in written form.
After attending the course, the students should be able to:
- contribute to the iterative and multidisciplinary process of a building design project with focus on sustainability
- combine passive and active building design strategies
- apply appropriate engineering tools, models, and methods for evaluating indoor environmental quality (thermal comfort, indoor air quality, daylight), energy efficiency and environmental impact (energy use, Life Cycle Assessment) of design alternatives
- work methodically to optimising the design proposal considering multiple performance criteria
- communicate the optimisation strategy and visualize the results in a clear way to a range of stakeholders, e.g. clients, general public, architects, etc.
- collaborate across disciplinary boundaries in design processes